Who am I?
Hi I'm Amy. I am participating in the 12 Week Challenge to try and make a habit of eating healthy food and exercising regularly. I am a chocoholic and eat so much junk food! I'm hoping eating 12 weeks of healthy food will help me to see that there are yummy but also healthy ways to snack. I'd love to really strengthen my core and I also want to improve my dancing tricks. I love my dancing so much! It keeps me sane after a long, stressful workday. Nailing a new trick (or an old one) is the best feeling in the world. After these 12 weeks, I hope to be nailing tricks left and right. While I struggle to meet my personal goals, I'll be raising funds for my dancing studio and for the charity fund UNCHR. I think having a good cause to support should encourage me to meet my personal goals as well.
UNCHR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees)
UNCHR are a great charity to which I already give personal donations to monthly, so I have seen the positive impact they make to refugees worldwide. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems world-wide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and to find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. We are all human beings no matter what country we come from and should have the right to feel safe and secure.
What is the 12 week Challenge?
The 12 week challenge is an event my dancing studio is hosting to raise funds for the studio and for UNCHR. It involves a set of requirements each week that we need to follow and a weekly challenge that we need to complete. There are prizes for us participants if we complete them particularly well.
- Complete at least one level course per term
- Attend minimum 24 casual courses over the duration of the Challenge (Average 2 per week)
- Attend 4 challenger progress meetings
- Complete a PT gym session with our strength and conditioning coach
- Eat healthy (Weekly picture of healthiest meal to be posted to the challenger Facebook page)
- Complete weekly health and fitness mini challengers (e.g. Week 1 - A plank a day focusing on good technique)
- Create a tricks display of minimum 1 minute (must include 3 fix-it tricks and 3 new tricks)
- Choreograph a routine of minimum 2 minutes
- Perform both creations at the end of challenge event
Funds raised during the challenge will be split three ways:
1/3 Going into the prize pool for challengers
1/3 Going towards studio improvements
1/3 Going to support UNHCR to aid the refugee crisis