We are a self-help women's group with 22 members. The objectives of this organization are as follows:
- To help members expand their individual businesses
- To promote group welfare
- To assist each other, e.g. in times of need like sickness, death
- To have a merry-go-round and table banking in the group
- To interact and make friends
Each of the members have their own small scale businesses that they run. But we now want to invest as a group in more large scale incoming generating activities to benefit all members.
Some of the ideas that members floated were as follows:
1. Buy a plot of land and start a chicken project. We will keep chickens for both meat and eggs which we will sell to the community as the demand is always there. This project stands to benefit not just the group members but will also create employment for the youth within the community who are idle. If we are able to get the youth occupied and not idling around crime within the community will reduce. We also noted that many households live on starch or a carbohydrate-rich diet because it is the cheapest. By starting this project, this will be a good source of protein for members and their extended families because they can purchase the same chickens at a subsidized price.
2. Buy land and build rental houses. The money that will come from renting out these houses will build the group's kitty to engage further in more income-generating projects.
3. Buy a car and make it an Uber taxi. This will contribute to our kitty and help us generate money for members.
These were the 3 main ideas that came out strongly, but the one with the most votes was the idea of buying land and starting a chicken project.
Many of our members have so many commitments and very little resources. Some of them are widowed and rely on this group to sustain their lives through small loans which they use to run their small businesses and pay their children's fees in school. It is a hand to mouth life. We hope to break this cycle by thinking big and engaging in projects that are sustainable and at the same time put money in member's pockets.