The MillionTrees Project was initiated in 2019 to help further our mission to protect, preserve and restore the natural environment of our nation’s major rivers and their watersheds. Our mission is to not only clean up the riverways but to also enhance the watershed by planting native trees and removing invasive plants.
In 2020, we started collecting and planting acorns with the goal of growing one million trees. We reached that goal in 2021 and now we’re shooting for another million!
In May 2021, we broke ground on our new tree nursery located at 6000 Eastern Avenue in Davenport, IA. After two to three growing seasons, the trees are harvested and new acorns are planted each fall.
MillionTrees Project Goals
- To grow and plant one million+ trees
- Re-establish native, nut-bearing, hardwood trees along waterways and within communities
- Provide shelter and a viable food source for wildlife and migratory birds
- Increase biodiversity
- Help reduce erosion and run-off
- Improve water and air quality
- Mitigate the impacts of climate change
- Create awareness regarding the value of planting native hardwoods